AmeriCorps VISTA Elementary School Implementation Project
Title: AmeriCorps VISTA UWNU Elementary School Implementation Project (Odyssey & Hillcrest Elementary Schools)
Reports to: Julie Trickett, Learn with Playgroup, Program Manager
Hours: This is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA positions serving 1700 hours annually. Location: Ogden, Utah. This position will be located at Odyssey Elementary School and Hillcrest Elementary School as a part of a collaboration with Ogden School District.
About the AmeriCorps VISTA Program:
Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Members serving in the AmeriCorps VISTA program serve full time for one-year terms. They build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities.
Summary of Position:
In partnership with AmeriCorps, UWNU, and the Ogden School District, the AmeriCorps VISTA empowers families to support early childhood development through play-based learning opportunities, socialization, and positive modeling of behavior and parent responses. This includes creating a greater understanding of healthy lifestyle choices, family safety, child development, and improved school readiness.
The AmeriCorps VISTA will work with Ogden School District to implement a Learn with Playgroup program to benefit families within school boundaries neighborhoods, creating social connections with neighbors and introduce parents to the elementary school setting.
- Create inventory method to coordinate in-kind donations, materials and craft supplies and track outgoing supplies to each playgroup. Reordering stock to meet inventory needs.
- Recruit families within school’s boundaries by working closely with school staff to identify interested families
- Create partnerships with local nonprofit agencies to share information and referrals
- Create an annual community outreach calendar to connect with families creating program awareness.
- Attend community events to market the Learn with Playgroup program and recruit families, creating flyers and graphics for marketing purposes
- Maintain monthly data tracking and create a data tracking and sharing process to inform decisions and keep meetings results-focused with all stakeholders
- Recruit and train volunteers involving creating process for obtaining background checks and volunteer schedule
- Enhance playgroup communication with families, team, and all stakeholders
- Identify opportunities to improve daily process
- Onboard families into program by tracking necessary documents
- Coordinate referral services in response to child and family needs
- Support families with student transition to pre-school and/or kindergarten
- Lead coordinated activities
- Participate in family engagement events with the school and community partners
- Build strong relationships with school partners and diverse community stakeholders, and identify opportunities for them to align service
- Maintain the purpose and vision of the work to progress in defined long-term outcomes
Compensation and Benefits:
- Monthly living allowance of $1,375 (for a yearly total of $16,500).
- Education award of $6,345 at the end of service year to use toward payment of student loans or future tuition, fees, and/or books at a college, university, or trade school. If the member is over the age of 55, they may gift their education award to a child or grandchild. All members can receive forbearance of payments on current student loans.
- Health care reimbursement assistance
- Childcare assistance, as needed
- Ongoing professional training and support
- Limited relocation assistance
- The chance to make a difference in the lives of many
- Members develop excellent management and organizational skills
- Commitment to program participants and community
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Detail- and results-oriented
- Time and project management
- Able to relate to people from diverse backgrounds
- Must be able to thrive in a matrix organizational structure
- Patient and adaptable to constantly changing environment
Member Requirements/ Information:
- Member must be a high school graduate
- A citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Member must produce these documents prior to enrollment: birth certificate or passport, driver’s license, social security card, high school graduation verification
- High standards of professional ethics and conduct; Member must submit to and pass an FBI background check/Sex offender check conducted prior to hire
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google, and computer technology
- Reliable vehicle for community and school-related visits
- Bachelor’s degree or some college
- Fluency in Spanish - verbal and written
How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume to Julie Trickett, email@example.com
Closing Date: April 18, 2022
For more information about the AmeriCorps VISTA program please visit: https://americorps.gov/serve
NOTE: The statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the person employed. Also, the statements do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
About United Way of Northern Utah: United Way of Northern Utah is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which serves Weber, Box Elder, Oneida and Morgan counties. Its mission is to Unite people and organizations to build a healthy, stable, and well-educated community where individuals, families, and neighborhoods thrive. Website: http://www.uwnu.org