Title: United Way of Northern Utah President & CEO
Reports to: Board of Directors
About United Way of Northern Utah: United Way of Northern Utah (UWNU) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Ogden, Utah, that serves Weber, Box Elder, and Morgan counties. Its mission is to unite people and organizations to build a healthy, stable, and well-educated community where individuals, families, and neighborhoods thrive. Website: http://www.uwnu.org
Goal: More than a fundraiser, United Way creates opportunities for people in our community to work together to improve the health, education, and financial stability of every person. We move quickly to meet changing needs in our community and are looking for the next strong leader to advance our mission.
UWNU works closely with local businesses, the corporate community, nonprofit organizations, school districts, local government, and community residents to identify, align, and advance strategies and programs that create measurable change in the region. UWNU has an annual operating budget of $5M and a staff of 30.
Specific focus areas include:
- Nonprofit Connection - Provides tools, skills, and expert services to area nonprofits.
- 2-1-1 Information/Referral - Inform community members how to give and get help.
- Corporate Connection - We help businesses give back to the community.
- Community Service Grants - Provide grant funding to area nonprofits.
- United Partnership - Builds a cradle-to-career support system for every child.
- AmeriCorps Student Success Program - Provides 1:1 academic, social/emotional, and basic needs support to at-risk students in 70 schools across the state of Utah.
- Welcome Baby Program - Promotes healthy, secure, and enjoyable beginnings for parents, new babies, and their family members through home visitation.
- Year of Action - Transforms volunteers’ passions into actions through awareness and advocacy events, volunteer events, and community drives.
- Learn with Playgroups - prepares children ages 0-5, and their parents, for kindergarten by increasing parent and child engagement and encouraging family wellness.
UWNU is seeking an adaptable, innovative, and community-focused leader to serve as its next President & CEO.
The President & CEO will build trust and extend the breadth and depth of UWNU's reach across Northern Utah in partnership with a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff, and volunteers. The President & CEO is the ‘Chief Mobilizer’, leveraging the power of relationships and networks, and working across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community.
Inspired by a genuine passion for delivering support and resources for the region, the President & CEO will advance current efforts and seek opportunities for refinements and advancement to achieve UWNU’s mission in partnership with the Board of Directors, staff, Corporate, and Community Partners. They will oversee an equitable and thoughtful approach to program management, strategic initiatives, staff management, partnerships, fundraising, and external relations. Success in this role will be skillfully balancing various interests and needs.
The next President & CEO will bring transformational and adaptable leadership to all areas of UWNU, including operations, financial performance, talent, and culture. As a guiding force, this executive will expand funding streams, strengthen community relationships, and elevate UWNU’s brand in Northern Utah and beyond.
Keys for success include:
- Serve and collaborate with the Board as a thought partner to evaluate and implement the strategic vision and key initiatives of UWNU.
- Define and communicate the value proposition of UWNU, enhancing its relevancy and increasing brand awareness, influence, and impact.
- Ensure the near-term and long-term financial viability of UWNU, including growing and maintaining strong corporate relationships, developing new innovative methods of fundraising, and engaging the next generation of donors.
- Deepen and maintain a culture of trust, equity, and credibility, internally at UWNU and externally within the Northern Utah community.
- Build upon a strong reputation for UWNU as a convener and influencer. Foster collaboration with the community at large on Northern Utah’s most critical social issues.
- Represent UWNU in the business, donor, nonprofit, government, and United Way communities.
- Lead, attract, develop, and retain a diverse team of high-performing Board members, staff, and volunteers.
The President & CEO of UWNU will possess the following attributes and competencies:
A Strategic and Adaptable Leader
The President & CEO will be a forward-looking ‘big picture thinker’ skilled at leading complex organizations, setting new heights for UWNU while building upon existing momentum. They will be successful at planning and implementation to ensure that day-to-day operations are aligned with strategic goals while also being agile, adaptable, and innovative in response to emerging needs. They will be passionate about leading high-performing teams to achieve measurable outcomes while guiding organizational growth and staff development. An enthusiastic team builder, they will have a demonstrated history of creating a climate among staff that fosters personal investment, excellence, and a commitment to the organization's goals.
A Champion for Creating Opportunity for All
The President & CEO will embrace the significant role UWNU can play in addressing barriers to achieving economic well-being and quality of life for many in the community. This leader will be dedicated to listening and learning from the voices of all. They will have a rich understanding that the community is best served when the representation and participation of diverse groups are prioritized. Additionally, they help to develop a Board and staff that reflects the diversity of the communities UWNU serves.
A Relationship Builder
The President & CEO will be emotionally intelligent, skilled at convening, listening to, and seeking to understand the perspectives of a variety of constituents to establish trust, inspire new ideas, build effective relationships, and achieve ambitious goals. They will have a natural ability to foster collaboration among individuals and groups with varying opinions and priorities under a common goal while also giving everyone a sense of shared purpose and engagement in the work of UWNU. They will also be able to set direction, challenge others, and bring people to the table to engage in difficult conversations when necessary for the greater good. An influential communicator, they will also be comfortable and skilled at engaging the media and a wide range of audiences.
A Skilled Fundraiser
The President & CEO will be a skilled fundraiser who can enthusiastically define and convey the relevance of UWNU’s work to existing and new funding sources. In close collaboration with the Board, this leader will be exceptional at exploring new ways to invest in the community. As the chief fundraiser for the organization, they will bring an understanding of the changing landscape of philanthropy and will work to bring people together towards a common goal. A strong storyteller, they will be able to tie the investments to the outcomes in a compelling way. The President & CEO will exude an authentic, confident, and humble spirit enabling them to represent UWNU with a wide range of donors, including corporate leaders, foundations, community partners, elected officials, and government agencies.
A Passion for the Mission
Above all, the President & CEO will be energized by leading UWNU in living out its values and achieving its mission and vision. They will be passionate about cementing UWNU into a clear leadership role among philanthropic organizations and community partners while collaboratively addressing Northern Utah's systemic opportunities. They will be an empathetic leader that focuses on deeply understanding their constituents and the community that they serve. They will understand how empowering, educating, and connecting the community through employment, health, and financial stability-related programs can enhance a community and the lives of its residents.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Familiarity/history of service within the landscape of education, community development, and social services.
- Strong personal network in Northern Utah.
- Experience in education/human services managing large, complex, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Experience in program design and implementation with a demonstrated track record of successful results for programs.
- Familiarity with the United Way network.
- Experience collaborating with local municipalities, county government, and state legislature.
- Experience managing State and Federally funded projects.
- Experience leveraging the caring power of volunteers.
- Experience working with the Collective Impact framework and place-based initiatives.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or a related field.
WAGE: $120,000+ based on experience and qualifications
Location: Ogden, Utah
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Benefits: A comprehensive benefits plan includes vacation, sick, holidays, health, dental, vision, and life and an organization-matched 403(b) plan of up to 10% after one year.
How to Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Kent Streuling, firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Aug 17, 2022